February 2019 - Volume 21
The CrossFit Open 2019 is almost here!!
The 2019 Reebok CrossFit Games Open is the largest fitness competition on Earth and an exciting showcase of the CrossFit community. Here, athletes like you, from all around the world, show up and push themselves further than they ever thought possible over a five-week period. Challenges, PRs and the unknown await. Are you ready?
CrossFit Ripcord celebrates the Open with Friday Night Throw-downs and a friendly in-house team competition. All members are invited to join in the fun, from the newest beginners to the wod-scarred veteran members!
Here are the details for getting signed up and on a team!
- Sign up either for the in-house only competition or sign up at games.CrossFit.Com to see how you score globally. Sign up from now until Feb 17th to be in the first round of teams.
- Teams will be randomly assigned, with a mix of RX and scaled athletes, master athletes, and coaches. Team assignments will be posted on Monday Feb 18th.
- Friday classes starting Feb 22 will run the Open WOD in all classes for members who can’t make the Friday Night Throw Down.
- Earn points for your team by participating in the theme of the WOD and any special challenges that occur, plus points earned on the leaderboard! We will use a scoring system where RX reps get more points than Scaled reps, which get more points than further scaled reps.
So, if this is your first Open or your 7th, don’t miss out on the fun!
- Feb 8th – Euchre Night! 6:30 pm at the gym.
- Feb 22nd – Open 19.1 Friday Night Throw Down
- April 27th – Festivus 2 Person Mixed Pairs Comp – For the first time ever, Festivus games is mixing it up with a male/female team comp! More info and sign up info here: Festivus Games
- May 11th – Mission Adventure Race – http://www.dinoseries.com/mission-4-hour-lite-race/ This is an either an 18 hr or a 4 hr race. The 4 hr is an excellent place for new adventure races to start. I’d love to see some teams form and take our fitness outside the box!
- How long have you done CrossFit?
I started CrossFit after I had my first son, Eli. That was 4 years ago!
- What is your favorite CrossFit movement/WOD/lift?
My favorite Crossfit WOD is Karen. Not because it’s thrilling (ha!) but because wall balls are my jam. My favorite lift is the snatch. I’m not great at it, but I love the challenge. My favorite movement is either wall balls or rowing! They favorite the long levers :)
- What is something that most people at the gym wouldn’t know about you
Most people at the gym wouldn’t know…oh this is tough because I’m not shy and I tend to talk a lot 😳 but I played college volleyball at The University of Michigan! Go Blue!!
- What is a fitness goal you have for the upcoming year?
My fitness goal for 2019 is to get back in shape! I had a baby 11 weeks ago. I tend to put on weight while I’m pregnant. Not because I sit around and eat crap, but because that’s just what my body does when I grow children! Not fair but it’s true. So I need to lose some weight that I gained and get my fitness back! It’s a process. It doesn’t happen over night and I have to be patient. Being patient is 100% my biggest challenge.
- What is a hobby you have that is NOT CrossFit related?
My hobby that is not Crossfit related is crafts! I’m such a DIY nerd. I also LOVE to bake challenging/unique desserts.
- What advice would you give someone who is afraid to try CrossFit?
My advice to someone that is afraid to try Crossfit would be “come try 1 class!” There are modifications to every movement. Crossfit is for everyone. Find a gym and coach that you trust. The community aspect of Crossfit is undeniable.
- Tacos or Pancakes?
PANCAKES! And not protein pancakes or some kind of good kind of not healthy version of a pancake. I’m talking Aunt Jemima, delicious pancakes. I try to make these every once in awhile as a treat! Sometimes for dinner:)
This has quickly become my go to morning meal. I can prep 6 meals worth on Sunday and they keep fine all week long. I mixed together several different recipes and the result is more of a guide than a true recipe.
Ingredients (change based on taste/preference)
- 1 medium Japanese sweet potato, shredded
- meat of choice (I’ve used ground pork sausage and chicken smoked sausage)
- veggies (I mix onion, peppers, garlic, and spinach or kale)
- Eggs and/or egg whites
- Pre-heat oven to about 400° – 450°. My oven is borked and I had it on 515°, so you might want to google the proper temp!
- Shredded the potato and then use a paper towel to squeeze out as much moisture as you can. Spritz with olive oil and season to taste with you favorite spice blend.
- Grease muffin tins with oil.
- Fill each muffin tin to about half full with shredded potato. Take a small glass and tamp down the shreds.
- Bake until the potato bases are browned and not soggy. While this is baking, cook your veggie mix and your sausage if not already pre-cooked.
- Top each potato base with some of the veggie mix and some of the sausage.
- Scrambled the eggs (I use 4 – 6) and then pour this over the toppings in each muffing tin.
- Bake until set.
New Swag Items!
We are excited to offer a couple of new items in our swag line! We have:
- Fleece Lined Beanies – ideal for keeping your head warm during warm ups or runs outside.
- Hellbender Bands – These are custom designed and hand sewn wrist sweat bands that will help keep your hands dry during the sweatiest of wods!
- Sweat Towels – handy small towels for those wods that leave you glistening.
See the front desk for all of these plus the original Headbands and T-shirts.