November 2018 - Volume 19
So it’s been three months since the last newsletter and I don’t really have a good excuse, except life happens. As I was zipping around between screen printing and welcoming members for their weigh-ins today, I started reminiscing on the last two years and how much life has happened in that time.
Two years ago we anxiously awaited our name approval from CrossFit Headquarters, hopeful all would be in place for a December 1st opening. Our first round of names had been declined, so the timeline was getting short. We had spent all of November renovating the building, so much spraying, grinding, cleaning, and painting! Luckily the weather that year was very mild so that even though we were often drenched, we were not freezing! We had shifts of volunteers coming in to help, fueled by leftover Halloween candy, coffee, and camaraderie. We created a WWF group (wodding with friends) that met at Mill Race Park to do workouts together before heading over to paint walls or grind floors. If you’ve seen someone in the gym wearing the red “renovation crew – grind on” shirt, now you know the history! All of this effort from so many people paid off when we officially opened our doors!
Our first official WOD as CrossFit Ripcord happened Nov 26, 2016 and we repeat it every year on our anniversary. Since that first wod, our members have logged hundreds of wods, countless burpees, and endless PR’s! Our space has continued to evolve, adding new areas, moving equipment to better locations, always with the goal to make the hour our athletes spend in the building the best hour of their day. We’ve welcomed new babies and new athletes, had send off parties for old friends moving on, and said our final goodbyes to two of our members. There have been surgeries, recoveries, races, weddings, new pups, donuts, jokes, laughs, tears, and smiles. This is life, it is sometimes messy, sometimes stressful, but always a glorious adventure!
I just wanted to take a moment, in the spirit of giving thanks, to say “thank you” to everyone who has been a part of Ripcord, the old and the new. You are an amazing group of people!
– Coach Dell (with the support of Chandra, Jeff, and Steve)
- Nov 24th – Anniversary 1st WOD and Pitch In – Free community Wod at 10:00 am with pitch in to follow! Come celebrate Ripcord’s 2nd birthday with us.
- Dec 1st – Hoosier CrossFit Winter Rendezvous – A 2 person RX comp. Winter Rendezvous
- Dec 15th – CrossFit 317 SnowBrawl Comp – A 4 person comp that allows for all levels, plus a masters team! Snowbrawl
- Dec 29th – Holiday WOD and Member Party – Free community WOD at 10:00 am followed by a Brunch Pitch in and a dirty Santa gift exchange for members to follow. Check your email or our members Facebook group for more details!
- Jan 5th – Adventure Race Clinic in Kentucky! This is a great opportunity for anyone hoping to do an adventure race in the coming season! Look for an event post on our Facebook group so we can coordinate who’s going. Follow this link for more info and to sign up: http://361adventures.com/clinic
- April 27th – Festivus 2 Person Mixed Pairs Comp – For the first time ever, Festivus games is mixing it up with a male/female team comp! More info and sign up info here: Festivus Games
- How long have you done CrossFit?
I’ve been doing CrossFit since August 2018.
- What is your favorite CrossFit movement/WOD/lift?
My favorite lift is the clean. I also like back squats.
- What is something that most people at the gym wouldn’t know about you
Most people wouldn’t know that I love to cook. I like watching all kinds of cooking/baking shows and making new things. I would have loved to have been a chef!
- What is a fitness goal you have for the upcoming year?
My fitness goals for the upcoming year are to continue eating healthy and work on increasing strength, especially upper body strength. My goal is to be able to do a strict pull up and rope climbs in the next 6 months.
- What is a hobby you have that is NOT CrossFit related?
Non CrossFit related hobbies: backpacking with my husband/children and traveling.
- What advice would you give someone who is afraid to try CrossFit?
My advice would be to just try it! A lot of people have a preconceived notion of what CrossFit actually is and they’re scared to try. Reality is, CrossFit can be as easy or difficult as you want it to be. There’s always the option to scale a workout. CrossFit is an awesome way to push yourself and see exactly what your body is capable of.
- Tacos or Pancakes?
Definitely tacos! I ate tacos so often while pregnant, my kids love tacos!
Cauliflower Cranberry Superfood Salad
I’ve had this red piece of paper hanging on my fridge for who knows how long, I have no idea where I picked it up! On it is the recipe for this salad, which once I decided to make it, quickly became one of my favorites! It is super simple to make and tasted just as good on day five as it did on day one. I found pretty much the same version of this salad at: superfood salad
- 1 small head of cauliflower (about 3 1/2 cups florets)
- 1 cup finely chopped kale
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1-15 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- pinch of salt
- black pepper to taste
Place the cauliflower florets in the bowl of a food processor until 3/4 full. Use the pulse button to process the cauliflower until it is broken down into rice-sized pieces. Using a spatula, remove cauliflower from food processor and place in a large mixing bowl.
Add the kale, dried cranberries, red onion, garbanzo beans, and pumpkin seeds to the cauliflower. Mix well.
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and garlic. Pour over the cauliflower salad and mix well.
Season the salad with a pinch of salt and add black pepper to desired taste. Serve chilled. Salad will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
New Swag Items!
We are excited to offer a couple of new items in our swag line! We have:
- Fleece Lined Beanies – ideal for keeping your head warm during warm ups or runs outside.
- Hellbender Bands – These are custom designed and hand sewn wrist sweat bands that will help keep your hands dry during the sweatiest of wods!
- Sweat Towels – handy small towels for those wods that leave you glistening.
See the front desk for all of these plus the original Headbands and T-shirts.